So you're going to school.. congratulations! You're one of the few people who can say they are doing something productive, academically!
Whether you are a freshman or a fifth year senior, a little help never hurts anyone!
As a college graduate, there were things I did that helped my experience..things that didn't..and things I wish I did.. looking back on it now, I have managed to come up with some very helpful advice.
These questions can benefit ANYONE living on campus..
What should I do when I first get there?
Well, something that I should have done, really… get involved! Go to the on campus events the first week you’re there.. These are put on to build community and welcome anyone to campus. Try to go to as many events as possible before classes start. This will get you out of your dorm room, and into campus life. Take your roommate with you and build a relationship with them!
Also, get to know your RAs and RDs. They are going to be your lifeline should you need anything in the building/department of residence life. Don’t just stop at the RAs for your floor. Try to get to know at least one or two other RAs in the building. This will be beneficial for you when you are in need of assistance and you can’t find your floor’s RA.
Where should I eat my meals?
Eat wherever your meal plan allows. Bridgewater State University had a plan where you have so many meals, and then what they called dining dollars.. I’m sure your school has something like that.. Use up as many meals as possible before the end of the semester.. Some places don’t allow things to roll over semester to semester.
How do I meet people?
My best advice is to get involved. Find a group on campus that you are interested in, and join it! I didn’t do this, and actually regret it. I feel I would have had more of a positive experience. This involvement should not take precedence over your studies, as academics are the main reason you are in school. But being involved will give you a sense of community. You can also manage to make friends who will be available for studying, going out, etc.
Where do I find work?
Working while going to school will definitely help with your time management skills, and it wouldn’t hurt your wallet! At the end of July through mid-August, before you go back, make sure to check with your campus listings to see if any of the offices on campus are hiring. Try and get work study through your financial aid office. This will certainly help with any job hunting on campus.. Not to mention your bill! Finding work on campus will also be a way to get involved!
If you can’t find work on campus, try and scout for a job right off campus. If you don’t have a car, try and find a job that’s close to campus so you can walk, or the campus shuttle can get you close to it.
If you have any other questions, please don’t be afraid to email me and I can have another question post!
Great Advice ;) Sometimes I miss those days!
ReplyDeletehaha thanks love! I do too
ReplyDelete